Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Run. Sure. The power of a period.

Last week was a bust for exercising.  2 measly miles.  And very slow ones at that. Sometimes its just so hard to get the motivation.  As the saying goes, the hardest step is the one out the door.

I've been thinking for a while about having my own mantra to help keep me motivated.  Many runners have them, and it helps keep them going when the going gets tough.

I've been trying a few out, but none of them were really me.  I did like "suck it up, princess" quite a bit, but I wanted something more.

And this morning, on my first real run in 8 days, it came to me.  And I have my ancestors to thank for it.

My father is from Scotland, and I am very proud of that heritage.  I'm actually descended from James Hogg, one of Scotland's most famous poets.  We are part of Clan Anderson, complete with our own crest and motto.


Clan Anderson Crest

Our Clan motto is Stand Sure, representing the strength and pride of our Scottish heritage.

As I was chugging through my 3 miles this morning, it dawned on me that if I want a mantra that truly represents me, it must come from my heart - and I have always loved our motto. 

So, instead of Stand Sure, why not Run Sure?

And therein lies the power of the period.  Last week, I was... Run. Sure.  You know that sarcastic voice that you say...yeah, sure.  I'm going for a run, yeah, sure. 

But take out that period, and there is a mantra of strength, power and pride.  

Run Sure.  
Run strong. Run with power. Run with pride.

And I found my head got a little higher, my shoulders didn't slump as much and I had a stronger step.  All because I was Running Sure.

And I will continue to Run Sure on my pink miles.


No comments:

Post a Comment