Wednesday, April 18, 2012

One step at a time. One pink mile at a time.

Today I walked 3/4 of a mile.  A whole 3/4 of a mile!

I took my BFF (Best Furry Friend) Fendi for a walk this morning and enjoyed the fresh air.  It was cool and fresh and oh so beautiful!  It feels great to stretch my legs again and start moving around.

It's hard to believe that exactly a month ago, I ran the NYC Half Marathon. 13.1 miles through Central Park and Times Square, along the West Side Highway to downtown, past the World Trade Center site, ending at the South Street Sea Port.  It was an incredible route and the weather conditions couldn't have been better.  It was a true joy to run that day!  My legs felt powerful and my heart was full of spirit.  I was so proud to be a runner that day participating in a great race.

Racing to the finish line.  I actually had a great sprint at the end - first time I've ever done that!

Post race at South Street Sea Port.


And now, 30 days later, I am proud to walk three quarters of a mile!  My body has been through a lot in the last 3 weeks following my surgery, and I know it will take me a while to get back to where I was in terms of strength and fitness.  But I will get there, and I will be strong.

It really is all about taking the first step.  Two and a half years ago, I couldn't run even a half or a quarter mile.  Now I've got 2 full marathons and 4 half marathons under my feet.  It's all about putting one foot in front of the other.  You start with baby steps, and then you grow.  Gradually you run farther.  And longer.  And stronger.

I could sit here and feel sorry for myself - and at times I have been doing just that - or I could say this is a time to start again, grow strong again, and run far again.

And that's just what I'm going to do.

One pink mile at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment